Our Mission: “Provide for and continuously improve the health, happiness and fortunes
of the homeless and abandoned cats and dogs in Monroe County”
Any questions, please email us: info@MonroeCountyFriendsofAnimals.org
Our number one goal for every animal we care for is to find them a forever, loving home. The traditional way we do this is through adoptions from the shelter. But with nearly 2,000 animals needing our help each year, there is no way for us to find local adoptive homes for all of our animals. Fortunately though, over the years, we have built relationships with shelters and rescue organizations across the US that help us find homes for our animals. Without these partnerships, our number of animals would exceed shelter capacity and some animals would be euthanized.
Shelter staff play a major role in this rescue effort, talking to destination shelters about each animal and getting the animal accepted for transport. Our volunteers and donors are equally as critical to the success of this effort. Volunteers drive our van with animals to various rescue locations while other volunteers help load the animals for the transport. Additionally, some rescue partners require dogs to receive Canine Behavior Assessment before they will accept them. We have a team of volunteers trained to perform that testing which is done on the majority of dogs that come into the shelter.
How you can help
- Make a donation. Your donation helps these animals find their forever homes.
We always have a need for volunteers to help with our rescue program. Ways you can help include:
- Loading and unloading dogs onto transport vehicle.
- Driving animals to rescue partner sites using our Monroe County Friends of Animals van.
- Conducting behavioral testing of dogs (required by some rescues
- Completing paperwork required for transport
To find out more about volunteering with our Rescue Transport program, contact our volunteer coordinator.
The hard work of many to make our rescues possible pays off with animals finding their new homes.
Thank you to our Rescue Partners:
- Atlanta Humane Society (Alpharetta, GA)
- St Hubert’s….. (Madison, NJ)
- Noah’s Ark (Morristown, TN)
- Blake’s Rescue (Staten Island, NY)
- Go North of Maryville (Midwest destinations)
- Other breed specific rescues
Sponsor a Rescue Program
You can make a donation for rescue as a gift to someone or in memory of some person or pet. We will notify any person you choose of your donation.
You can also mail a donation and information to us at:
Monroe County Friends of Animals
PO Box 106
Vonore, TN 37885